Archived Alerts (Inactive)
Due to weather conditions, Longwood University will be closed on Friday, Jan. 22. Below are amended hours for campus facilities through the weekend.
- Dorrill Dining Hall will open from 11-2 and 4:30-7 all weekend.
- Lankford Student Union will open from 10-9 on Friday and 12 noon-10 on Saturday and Sunday.
- The Health & Fitness Center will open from 10-8 on Friday, 9-8 on Saturday and 1-10 on Sunday.
- Greenwood Library will open from 10-5 on Friday and Saturday and 1-10 on Sunday.
More important information due to the inclement weather:
- All Saturday graduate classes are canceled.
- All admissions and Honors College events have been canceled or postponed.
- The add/drop deadline has been extended to Wednesday, Jan. 27.
- The FAB will NOT run on Saturday, Jan. 23 or Sunday, Jan 24.
- The women's basketball game vs Liberty has moved to Sunday, Jan. 24 at 2 p.m.
- The men's basketball game vs Winthrop has moved to Sunday, Jan. 24 at 5 p.m.
As this is the first time campus has been impacted by inclement weather, it is an appropriate juncture for an annual reminder on our weather policies and practices.
First, please act in the best interest of your safety. This means wearing appropriate clothes (many layers, gloves, hats and appropriate footwear) when you go outside in the snow. Frostbite and hypothermia are serious issues, so please be sure to keep yourself warm.
A helpful Q&A on our weather policy and decision-making process is available at http://alerts.longwood.edu/weather-policy-qa/
An update on the water main break that affected a portion of campus yesterday:
- The Center for Communication Studies and Theatre, Greenwood Library and Stubbs Residence Hall are now fully online.
- Bedford and Wygal halls remain closed. Exams scheduled for today have been relocated and professors have been in contact with affected students. All other exams are proceeding as normal.
- Race Street is closed to traffic from Vine to Franklin streets through Friday as work continues.
- Wygal parking lot is closed through Friday.
An update on the water main break that’s affecting campus:
- Power has been restored to Greenwood Library, and it is now open as a study area for students. The library is still without water—signs will direct students and staff to alternative restrooms. Rooms in Lankford Hall are available for students to use as study areas.
- Power has also been restored to CSTAC, and the building is open for use. Exams today have been relocated. Faculty will communicate with students about the location of their exams.
- Wygal and Bedford halls will remain closed today.
- Stubbs Residence Hall is currently without water. The office of Residence and Commuter Life is assisting affected students.
Power, water and cleanup crews continue to be on site and work to resolve remaining issues.
Students with exams scheduled in the affected buildings have been contacted by their professors. All other exams today will proceed as scheduled.
The water main break continues to affect Bedford, CSTAC and Wygall halls, and Greenwood Library. These buildings are currently closed. The break may affect these buildings for much of the day as power and cleanup crews work to restore service.
Students who have exams scheduled in the affected buildings today will be contacted by their professors with instructions. All other exams will proceed as scheduled.
Water main break has closed Bedford and may affect CSTAC, Wygal. Faculty to message students on exams. All other exams normal.
All Clear resume normal activity.
Notice: This is a test for the earthquake drill.
no threat to campus at present. area was checked by police. remain diligent of any suspicious activity and report such.
FPD received report of shirtless black male with a rifle near Oak Street. No one fitting that description was located.
At this time the thunderstorm has passed but there is still rain and wind in the area. Please watch out for possible trees,limbs and power lines in the road ways.