Here are a few tips to stay safe during ice and snow season.
- Don’t rush. Give yourself time to get to school/work.
- Drive carefully.
- Dress warmly.
- Wear sensible shoes.
- Watch where you are walking.
- Shorten the length of your stride while walking.
- Check the forecast before heading outside.
- Do not dart out in front of or behind snow-removal equipment. It is large, loud and difficult to stop quickly.
- Make eye contact with a snow-removal equipment operator before crossing in front of him/her.
- Use handrails on outside steps.
Salt and Ice-melt Compound
- Call 395-2091 to report icy spots on campus.
- It takes time for the ice-melt compound to take effect.
- Stay back from equipment putting down ice-melt liquid or granular compound.
Sidewalks and Staff /Commuter Parking Lots
- Do not park so close to the sidewalk that your car’s bumper hangs over it.
- Brick walks have less traction than concrete walks. Be careful!
- Sidewalks on north side of buildings and shaded areas are prone to have black ice. Be careful!
- Avoid parking in part of a lot that has not yet been cleared.
- Park where it’s plowed or wait a few minutes for the driver to finish and then park freely in the cleared lot. Don’t pull up behind working snow-removal equipment.
Please be careful during winter weather events!